Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bursting with Excitment




Our trip is one week away and I am literally bursting with excitement. I immediately thought of Emily and her reaction to one of her Christmas gifts she received this past year.

For about a year and half, Emily has been BEGGING us for a cell phone. The answers have always been “not now,” or “you’re too young,” or “why do you need a phone so bad, you have an ipod that you face time and use for texting.” So when Christmas lists were being written this past year, I reminded her that she was not getting a phone, to make sure she writes other things that she wanted so I had some ideas. But because of some persuading that was done by my sister (who works at Cellcom) I gave in and bought her a cell phone. Which, of course, was kept a secret until Christmas day, when she would unwrap her present and SURPRISE!!...the cell phone she has so badly wanted for a long time! The look on her face, eyes wide, smiling from ear to ear, the excitement, her running up to give me a hug and a hugh thank you saying, “What? When? I thought you said No! You’re the best mom ever, this is so awesome!” Best mom ever. Those are not everyday words for a 13 year old. My 1st grader, yes! (Jada tells me daily I’m the bestest mom ever) My 7th grader, no! As a matter of fact, I think that was the last time I heard those words from her.
 
 




















I have been talking about this trip since Mussie's been home. (which, by the way, was 2 years ago. March 17th was our Embassy appointment. March 20th we were home as a family of seven!) To finally be going back, is just so AWESOME!! I have moments when I want to reach up to God, our Heavenly Father, and give him a great big hug and say “Thank you, you're the best Father ever! You are making this all possible!” There is no greater joy than to know what He is most passionate about and turn that into our passion and then to ask and it shall be given to us. And that's exactly what I've done for the last two years, just kept on asking!! All those who ask, receive! Yes, my prayers have been answered, (that's why we're going back to Ethiopia) but more importantly I have been given a new heart! A heart that knows , His grace, His greatness, His majesty, His mercy and His love!– oh, He is so good!! I am truly blessed and so thankful that He is using me and my family to make His name known!
 
Steve was out of town this past weekend. Because part of his time was going to be spent on an airplane for 3 hours, I asked him if he would like to write something for our blog to share with all of you. So, welcome Steve, our guest blogger!

 
I figured it was about time for me to put my input in on the blog. As the lessor half of the inspiration of this journey, I will have to say, I am very excited about our travels.
 
Michelle has been so driven in her passion for the people of Ethiopia, one can only sit back and watch how God is using her in His way. It has been so fulfilling as a husband to watch Michelle's relationship with the Lord grow over the past 14 years of marriage. My prayer is that I will grow with her.
 
I have to say, I have not always been in favor of this journey, and have sometimes made it very hard on my wife to follow the path she has been put on. I was told by a very important person in my life, that on the day I said "I Do", two became one, and if God has spoken to her, it's just as good as speaking to me. We are one in Christ, and I see that more now than ever. I am praying that God will show me my role in this journey, but if not, I will stand strong with Michelle as we go forward, continuing to work hard to finance all that God has put on her heart. God has been faithful.
 
The outpouring of support has been awesome. God is using His people to take care of ALL his people. God did not send His Son to die for the sake of religion. Not for the sake of rules and regulations. He sent His Son for the sinners, the lost, for you and me! So we could have a relationship with God himself, nothing between. When you really think about it, how awesome is that! So, thank you for your support. As we GO, we will take all of you with us. We are just the sheep following our shepherd. I have followed many voices and have been pulled in many directions throughout my life, but I choose to follow the voice of truth, which says "do not be afraid."
 
Thanks so much for joining us on this journey!
Steve
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Michelle I really enjoy reading your blogs. I can actually hear and feel the excitement that you have for God in your words. I find it putting a smile on my face and a chill in my body as I am as excited for you and the family, as you are. I pray that you all have a safe trip and can not wait to hear of your journey.
    Jeff & Janette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I am just soo thrilled to read about your journey. I remember when you had hesitations of leaving food service. But, I now see that was God's plan all along. He has this wonderful, beautiful, selfless journey for you & your family. I am so excited and happy for you. God chose a wonderful beautiful person to help those children & families. I pray that God watches over you & keeps you & your family safe. I am so excited to hear all about it when you get back.
    Kathy & Olivia Shelly

    ReplyDelete